Search This Blog

Sunday, February 2

Thus Far

Wine has always been present in my life. For the good times, and the bad, wine helps us make sense of events unfolding.

The first time I saw a glass of wine it was in my fathers hand. I remember being entranced in the deep red color of the wine, and it's distinct smell. Conversations, kisses and celebration all taste like wine, to me.

The first time I drank a glass of wine was when I turned 13. In Jewish tradition one is considered an adult at the age of 13, as many of you know is well before the age one can start to enjoy the complex flavors of wine. I drank it as slowly as I could. I'm more of a toe-dipper than a diver.

Now, much older and with many bottles under my belt, wine tastes like love. It reminds me of growing up in an Italian-Jewish kitchen, of spending time with my family, and of the life I have begun to build for myself. Wine goes through many stages, in processing and in flavor. Well, people go through stages. And my stages can be mapped out with wine.