Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27

Tasting - Beliveau Estate White Wines

Beliveau Estate Winery is the second largest in Virginia. I had the pleasure of visiting their store in downtown Blacksburg, VA this week with some delicious results.


Mystique


Name: "Mystique"
Varietal: Chardonnay
Region: Virginia
Country: United States
Year: 2013
Price: $16

Winery Review: http://beliveauestate.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/beliveau-estate-winery-mystique/

My Review: Mystique had the color and aroma of a full bodied white wine. I could smell nuts, oak and green vegetation. My first taste confirmed the integration of oak, but not at an "oak monster" level as some critics say. It had a crisp finish that reminded me very much of pears. A very balanced product. 


Lovers Quest

Name: "Lovers Quest"
Varietal: Vidal Blanc
Region: Virginia
Country: United States
Year: 2012
Price: $18
Winery Review: "A semi-sweet Vidal Blanc, Lover's Quest is perfect for those seeking a sweet, but not too sweet white. It pairs well with pork, quiche, pesto, and fresh fruits. The nose is fruit forward with hints of apple and peaches. This wine is a favorite of picnicking guests at Beliveau Estate."
- From the Beliveau Estate website

My Review: The aroma screamed "youth" with notes of citrus and a bubbly effervescence. I expected the sweetness to hit me hard but I was surprised by the balance this wine displayed. It's acidity helped cut through the alcohol content (12.5%) nicely. Definitely a wine I will be pairing with meals in the summertime.

Reflection

Name: 'Reflection"
Varietal: Traminette
Region: Virginia
Country: United States
Year: 2012
Price: $17
Winery Review: Dry, with complex notes of exotic fruits and flowers.

My Review: The nose on this wine was fruity but not sweet. More like the starfruit, pear, papaya end of things. It's taste is similar but it's dryness is surprising. I am not used to dry white wines, and this one may have sold me. 



Discovery

*No Photograph Available
Name: "Discovery"
Varietal: Niagara/Riesling Blend
Region: Virginia
Country: United States
Year: 2012
Price: $15
Winery Review: Discovery is our Niagara-Reisling blend with notes of honey, peaches, apricots, and melon. A sweet wine with a sophisticated finish, this wine is VERY refreshing and wonderful paired with strawberries and other fresh fruits as well as light cheeses. Discovery is also good for making bellinis!

My Review: Sweetest wine available! Good for those who aren't into white wine's but I believe this wine needs some more acidity to hold up to food pairings. I definitely taste the apricots and melon as if they were dried in a bucket of sugar. Would drink for breakfast. 

Destiny

Name: "Destiny"
Varietal: Vidal Blanc
Region: Virginia
Country: United 
Year: 2012
Price: $20
Winery Review: This dry, crisp Vidal Blanc is an excellent sipping wine, best served chilled. A two-time Bronze Medal winner, Destiny is perfect on a warm day to quench your thirst and refresh your palate! Also pairs well with poultry, balsamic vinegar, roasted red pepper, goat cheeses, and fruit. Destiny is a very popular picnic white at our Estate on warm Summer afternoons.

My Review: There was not much of a nose on this wine. However, the unoaked fermentation is appreciated. I have been hearing so much about California wines shifting away from the Oak Monster and anxiously awaited this tasting. I could definitely tell the difference. The apricot and tangerine notes came through beautifully without having to battle oak, vanilla or cream. I would push someone to buy this wine almost as much as the salesperson tried with me.